Thursday, October 29, 2015

Pit Stop To Become South Dakota Residents!!!!!

So long Hitterdal, MN until next Beet harvest season. We are on our way to our winter destination. With a super exciting pit stop in between that we are super excited about. We are stopping in Sioux Falls, SD because we are going to become residents of South Dakota.

Researching the best mail forwarding services and the pro's and con's of the states that cater to full-timers we decided on SD for one main reason. We were residents of FL and when we quoted our auto insurance to change to SD we could not believe that is dropped over 50% so that was our main reason for changing. 

I researched all the mail forwarding services in SD and what they offered and I believe we made a great choice with http://www.yourbestaddress.com I called the owners and I spoke with Larry and since I was new to this he walked me through everything. He informed me of everything I was going to need to get our licenses in SD specifically. He informed me that we could pay 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, or 12 months and get the 13 month free I liked this options because we did not want to pay a lot of money to set up because we were going to have to pay for all the vehicles and license in SD so we started out paying for 3 months. I informed Larry that we were going to be in Sioux Falls in a few days. In order to have the proper documents for our license you need a receipt from a campground in SD for a stay or one day or more but it needs to have your mail forwarding address on there. We were going to check into the campground before we spoke with him and we would have to change the address with the campground for proper documentation. Larry was such a nice guy he gave our address over the phone with no money down, that way we would not have to go through changing the address once we were already checked in I was so grateful for this.

We finally got to meet Larry and Rose Marie his wife and they are such great people they are very helpful and attentive. They even offer the service of registering your vehicles it is only $26.00 per vehicle. They shred all unwanted mail for free, and much more we believe we made the perfect choice here and we feel we are in great hands. We now are official SD residents and off to the DMV to get our licenses before we head to the treasury to get our vehicles registered ( suggest you do in that order licenses then registration) Thanks to Larry this process was painless. you need 4/5 documents to get your licenses in SD

1. Social Security Card (no receipt or stub has to be the card and can not be laminated it is not usable if it is) also your birth certificates they need to be the certified copy other wise they will not be accepted. 

2. You will need the paperwork for the mail forwarding place of your choice to as proof of your address (dont worry they people at the DMV carter to full-timers so they expect this documents. I was worried they would not be very receptive)

3. The receipt from your campground with at least one night stay (VERY IMPORTANT make sure your mail forwarding address is on this with both your names if your partner is going to be on there with you if this is not on there you will have a problem because this is the second proof of address for your license)

4. Women if you have gotten married or had a name change you will proof of this I used my marriage certificate and keep in mind this will need to be the certified copy if not they will not accept it.

We were in and out and we have our license now off to the treasury to register our vehicles. Walked in and I was nervous I hate this part I am always worried I will not have all the needed documents apparently I did. 10 minutes and about $100 later we have a plate for the truck and it is a registered vehicle of SD. Make sure you either have a bill of sale if you just purchased the vehicle like we did or the price must be on the title you have otherwise you will be turned away. 

We had to wait a few days to register the camper because we waited for the title to come in the mail. I went by myself the first time and (MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE WEIGHT FOR YOUR CAMPER ON THE TITLE) I did not get a nice lady the first try she saw no weight on the title so she was nasty and turned me away with out answering how I could find the weight that would work for them. I picked Todd up from doing laundry and he went with me the second time keep in mind it was Friday and we were leaving on Saturday so it was stressful not being able to get it done when I went. The first window that I went to opened up 2 times when I was next so I sent the person behind me I did not want that lady again. We got very nice gentlemen and he was very happy to get us all registered he even looked the weight up online just to make sure our data was correct which it was and because that was were we found the weight as well. 30 mins later and a bill of around $250 dollars they register by weight and we had to pay taxes on it but we are now registered in SD and we can get on the road again and head to our winter destination. WOO HOO..... we are South Dakota Residents

No comments:

Post a Comment